Thursday, March 18, 2010

D&D Encounters - Session 1

Posted by Stupid Ranger at 10:10 PM

Atora
Originally uploaded by stupidranger
Last night, I participated in D&D Encounters at Total Escape Games in Broomfield. Those of you who know me know that I'm actually pretty shy, and I don't usually game with people I don't already know. But I decided to give it a try; a half hour with strangers can't be too taxing, right?

Spoiler-Free (Mostly) Brief Overview

It was a lot of fun! Our DM was awesome and handled everything with grace and ease. We had one player who was completely new to 4E out of the six of us. Four players used pre-gen characters, two of us had rolled up original characters. We ended up with a warlock, a ranger, two monks, a psion and my hybrid invoker/avenger.

Given our party composition, combat went pretty well. We really could have used a leader to help with healing, but no one died. Only one monk fell in battle, but I managed to revive him (earning me a bit of renown). I couldn't manage to do much damage, so reviving the melee monk was probably the most effective thing I did throughout the combat!

By the end of the night, I had accumulated 12 renown points and my first renown reward. Hooray!

Trying out the Hybrid Invoker/Avenger

I decided to try out the hybrid class with an invoker / avenger. I wanted to combine the striker role with the controller role; take out the big bad, then wipe out the minions. Sounded great, and I think once I've got a few more levels, but at first level, eh, not so great. I couldn't get close to melee to invoke my oath of enmity and melee attacks. And not wanting to use my daily so early in the "day," I used my at-will invoker attack. Might have been more successful if I had managed to roll better than a two. Ugh, what a nightmare!

Regardless of how my dice betrayed me, it was a fun night, and I can't wait for next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home